East Evergreen

The History of East Evergreen

The East Evergreen Historic District was listed on the Phoenix Historic Property Register in September 1999 and is pending registration as a national historic neighborhood.

East Evergreen can be traced to 1887, when J.T. Simms, a wealthy farmer, surveyed a parcel of land one-half mile north of the original Phoenix town site called Central Place. Unlike other additions to the property, Central Place was divided into large lots to be sold to individual developers.

In 1900, Lloyd B. and Mary Emma Christy became proprietors of Central Place, since renamed Evans’ Addition. Lloyd Christy served as mayor of Phoenix from 1909 to 1914. During that time, Roosevelt Dam was dedicated and Arizona entered the Union. Although the Christys never lived in East Evergreen, they owned a home for many years in what is now the Roosevelt district.

The East Evergreen subdivision was platted in June of 1909 and encompassed the area between McDowell, Roosevelt, Third and Seventh streets. Subdivision owners included the Christys, Greene and Griffin Real Estate Company, and C.H. Markham. The city of Phoenix annexed the subdivision later that year.

East Evergreen’s greatest period of significance is 1901 to 1929. The homes constructed during this time reflect bungalow architecture, which reached its height in Phoenix between 1905 and 1925. Twenty bungalows of various shapes and sizes can be found in the neighborhood.

One of the oldest homes in the neighborhood, the Col. James H. McClintock House at 323 East Willetta, was built in 1911. Besides serving as an officer with Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders during the Spanish-American War, McClintock is best known for his work as state historian. In that role, McClintock wrote a three-volume history of Arizona. Published in 1916, it is still considered one of the best histories of the state.

One of the more prominent homes in the neighborhood, the brilliant yellow Ralph H. Cameron House sits at the southwest corner of Fifth and Willetta streets. The two-story bungalow-style house, built in 1913, has a distinctive, full-width porch, reminiscent of the architectural style.

The East Evergreen neighborhood has been noted as a less intensely developed area of downtown. Today, the space incorporates mixed-use properties with historic homes to help maintain its quiet and calm character. New projects, like the Townsend Park Character Area, seek to create a pedestrian-friendly atmosphere that links the neighborhood to local businesses, arts and culture areas, and light rail.

Information courtesy of the Phoenix Historic Preservation Office